Friday, June 12, 2009

Today's Lesson: Time Management

Yes. This is a subject that should be brought up the minute you decide you want to have writing as your career. I have learned over the last two weeks, depending on what you're doing, writing, the creative, and the business side, can quickly monopolize your time.

I started seeing the signs of overdoing it yesterday. I was exhausted, and feeling overwhelmed. We were in Barnes and Noble, and I started to down talk myself. I was actually feeling envious of Stephenie Meyer and Holly Black for actually BEING there already. Published, I mean. I was even feeling like my writing was useless, and why was anyone asking ME for my opinion?

Yeah, it got really bad. I had a break down when I got home. It eventually came out of my "Writer's Funk" as I dubbed it later. I still didn't realize what had caused it.

What does any of my personal mental break downs have to do with time management? Simply this. I was overwhelemed, and exhausted. Putting in hours and hours of work into my writing every day, plus running Twitter discussions,building my website, and researching the business was just taking it's toll on me.

I didn't realize Time management was the issue until I got to my appointment with my psychiatrist today. It was as I was describing my daily activities to her that I said a key word: Time. So we began to make a schedule that she wants me try and stick to. This is the advice I would give to those of you who are stay-at-home writers like I am. Make a schedule, and stick to it as closely as you can. Here's an example of mine:

8:30am: Wake up, shower, breakfast, litterboxes for the morning/dishes if need be. (Those two need not be in that order)
10am: Writing begins! (For me that could mean editing a piece that needs it, or working on my novels)
2pm:Lunch. (I usually have a granola bar up in my room to snack on midmorning)
Reading for one hour after
3pm-5pm- More writing if wc is not met (or in the middle of an editting scene) Can also be used to work on Blogging, or critiquing others' work.
5pm: Dinner

The rest of the schedule will most likely change from day to day. This is just an example of what I came up with. Don't worry. If you write normally better, kudos to you. I can't always. It depends on the day.

Once you have a schedule, post it on your door, fridge, in your Ipods, Palm Pilots, Cellphones...etc. Just keep it handy.

While we're on the subject of Organizers? Getting one is a great idea. If you're Tech Savvy like I am, your MP3 Player may have calendar. USE IT. It will keep you organized on the go. I also have a desk planner that stays at my desk for at-a-glance views at extra things during the day. If you're going to go that route, make sure your digital organizer and paper planner stay synched.

I will write a follow up entry about this after I've adjusted to my new set schedule. I am looking forward to sharing my results.

Next Blog Topic: Magic in Fiction: How to make yours stand out

1 comment:

  1. The whole time management thing can really be a bear, but excellent advice that folks address it from the get-go.

    When I was doing my textnovel "13 to Life" last year I was pretty much insane. I was posting pieces (2) each day for public consumption, running a farmstead and taking care of a family. I was so deeply sucked into writing I lost sight of myself for a while.

    Sure, I won the contest and landed a 3-book deal, but I don't intend on EVER doing it that way again--it wasn't healthy considering the rest of my life.

    Keep it all in context and remember that perseverance (often the key to getting published) is okay if spread consistently over time--don't kill yourself pushing too hard.

    Take care!
    ~Saoirse Redgrave
    http://13-to-life-a-werewolf-tale.blogspot.com/
    http://www.Twitter.com/AuthorSaoirse_R

    ReplyDelete